Tuesday, February 15, 2005

Bark Deco for Sale

Just read, a few days late in the New York Daily News, that the originals of two of Cassius Coolidge's "Dogs Playing Poker" are going to be auctioned. I read about the history of these painting in the book "A Friendly Game of Poker", and it was pretty much the best piece in the deck of anecdotes it gathered.

Alas, the two painting are probably going to fetch a far higher price than lil' ol me can dig up.

Update: I sure was right about those dogs playing poker paintings being out of my price range: they "sold for $590,400 at auction." Thanks to alert reader TenMile for alerting me.

2 Comments:

Blogger TenMile said...

Sold, for 500,000 +

Write more, enjoy the site.

2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would simply like to observe that the artist, whose name is typically rendered with his first and middle initials, has one of the best pimp names ever: Cassius Marcellus Coolidge. Aka "C-Cool." Daaaaaamn!!!

Love the site (and the New Yorker blurb from some time ago!!)

—conspir8or~at~earthlink~dot~net

4:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(c) Toby Leah Bochan