Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Picture=1000 words. Hopefully.

Instead of recapping LA/Vegas in regular, silly, sentences and stuff, here is my trip via my camera phone:


I've been to Vegas before, but I'd driven there. I didn't know that when I disembarked from my America West flight, I'd be greeted with slot machines.



Since it seemed easy enough, instead of taking a cab downtown to my hotel, the Golden Nugget, I jumped on one of those shuttle busses. As we pull up to that "Welcome to Downtown Las Vegas" sign, we're treated to a warm reception...
Hey, I said, "What's that?"

It's a man who's set himself on fire! Delightful downtown vegas. You can't tell in the picture, but the tiny shirtless man sitting on the road was moments before ablaze with flames.


After playing 4 hours of poker, I spent some time the first night walking around Freemont street with a 57-year old guy named (no joke) Chip, who I met as I wasted a few minutes playing video poker. Chip was in town for a hearing aid convention. After we caught the Freemont Street Experience, Chip tried to buy us some deep-fried twinkies for a midnight snack, but alas, they were sold out.


After ducking in for a brief peek at Binion's Horseshoe, home of the WSOP. It was bedtime for this bozo.

Saturday I played in my tournament at the Nugget, then went to the Bellagio for a long evening of poker and then walked around the strip.


I liked the signs for The Flamingo and Bally's.

All the pictures get bigger if you click on them. Enjoy.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pauly said...

Thanks for sharing the camera phone pics. How did you do in the Nugget tourney?

Sorry to hear about your childhood friend.

12:40 PM  
Blogger F-Train said...

congrats on the 9th place finish out west. ah, vegas. it truly is a giant spectacle. but there's no way it holds a candle to NYC!

did you play any cards in LA?

1:46 AM  
Blogger Toby Leah Bochan said...

Thanks Dr. P, for the condolences.

A, I didn't play cards in LA just because of timing -- I actually tried to head to the card rooms before my flight out but my taxi driver was an idiot who got lost so I just had him take me to the airport after that and tried to catch an earlier flight to Vegas. And i agree -- nothing compares to NYC.

9:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(c) Toby Leah Bochan