Thursday, August 26, 2004

Trip: LA Part 1

On Tuesday, I left New York City straight from work lugging my ridiculously overpacked suitcase from work to JFK. I left work at 5 pm for an 8:30 PM America West flight, ever my mother’s daughter, suitcase full of new clothes, "LA clothes," which I hardly wore.

I arrived into LAX where I caught a cab which took me not to my hotel, but to some other, even hipper hotel in which, after a long day of traveling, I mistook elevators for closets or bathrooms.

LA made a first impression as a friendly town. As I stood on the second floor of the wrong hotel, which didn’t have room numbers as high as the one I was supposed to be staying in, a group of friends told me I was being set up and invited me along with them for a drink. There were 4 or 5 of them, early 20’s. I rode back down in the elevator to lobby and asked, laughing, “What hotel am I in?” Turned out it was the Mondrian, just over a block from my hotel, The Standard. I thanked them for the offer and trudged my samsonite luggage the short distance to the right hotel, where Amanda waited. After checking out the view:




For some reason, I was in the mood for a beer, so Amanda went with me to the bar for a cocktail. Then, as it was 4 AM by my body, I went to bed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

(c) Toby Leah Bochan