Wednesday, September 01, 2004

A Guaranteed Income For Life?

Gotta love my parents. No doubt in my mind that I'll be getting some really fine poker chips from them this year for my birthday, the big 3-0. The other day though, they gave me this crazy book they found at a garage sale or junk shop called Poker: A Guaranteed Income Life by using the Advanced Concepts of Poker.

Now that's a long title. I've been down because they've added, against my wishes, "All You Need to Beat the Boys" to my title, "The Badass Girl's Guide to Poker." Leave me a comment of support if you agree that having that subtitle is ridiculous. Or if you think it's great -- make me see why. I could use it.

Anyway, this book is by a guy named Frank R. Wallace, who turns out to be, upon googling, quite a wacko! I'm not surprised, after reading the ellipse-overfilled first few pages and finding I will continually be treated to descriptions of card games such as this:
With a growling noise, Professor Merck deals. John watches the deck and sees the bottom card plus two other cards flash. He then studies Quintin Merck's green eyes ... they are watering from the cigarette smoke curling over his mustache and into his leathery face. Wearing a sweaty beret and an opened polo shirt, the wiry fifty-five-year-old college professor hunches over the table. Suddenly he looks up and frowns at John Finn.


You can read what seems like the whole text of this out-of-print book here. Now to the writing. 2 weeks til due date. Aaaahhhhhh... Freak Out!

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, I know this will not help you, but for what it is worth I will commiserate with you. I think the subtitle is ridiculous too! Not necessary, too wordy, and pulls the punch from the main title for me.

Sounds like you are making headway though!

Good Luck,
HobbitGirl

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, I don't really like it either- pretty dang girls-against-boys and I suspect you didn't want to go there- but what are you going to do, I guess. From what I've heard you don't have much power over book titles usually.

Smartass Jennifer

4:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

w/out the subtitle the books sounds like it could be a novel. w/ the subtitle it's more clearly a how-to. works for me.

8:54 AM  
Blogger Toby Leah Bochan said...

yeah, the how to/fiction reason is the best one my editor gave me -- but it's that whole "the boys" thing that gets my goat. It's not the worst thing in the world, either way.

4:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The subtitle is insulting. It's a bad ass girl's guide to poker, not a guide on how to beat boys, right? It's insulting to women, men, and the game itself. It also reflects your editor or publisher's poor understanding of where the game is today. Get rid of it!

3:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

(c) Toby Leah Bochan